Like many of us, my wife started to work from home while trying to keep our two young children engaged and entertained. Since many of us are in the same situation, I decided to put together a list of free resources I've discovered to keep us all busy while self isolating at home.
One thing I've learned is that a child's attention span is short and they need to get up and move around often. A good way to determine how long your child can focus is by taking their age times two. For example, my 6 year old is most likely not going to retain information longer than 12 minutes. This pertains to tasks that they are not fond of. So it's important to have many hands-on activities available and resources so you can keep changing it up.
- Math learning sessions (Pre-K – Algebra I) from a Central Florida teacher, Amy More, on Facebook live at the specific times listed below:
|| 4th & 5th GR.
|| 2nd & 3rd GR.
|| Kinder & 1st GR.
|| Pre Alegebra / Alegebra I
- Homeschool Worksheets - Daily free printable learning workbooks for parents to help their kids learn from edHelper.com
- ABCya - Free educational games for kids
- Ask Dr. Universe - Dr. Universe is a very smart cat who investigates tough questions from curious elementary and middle school students. Dr. Universe teams up with professors, researchers, and experts in the field, to tackle big questions like: What is fire? Why does soda fizz? Why is the ocean salty? Why is liquid nitrogen so cold?
- Khan Academy - Free daily schedule, self-paced, interactive content--exercises, videos and articles--for students in every grade
- Ivy League online courses - Eight Ivy League schools created 450 free courses in various categories that you screen stream on multiple online course platforms
- ABCmouse - Offering 30 days free educational content
Field Trip Activities
- Virtual Tours of National Parks via Google Earth - Take a digital hike of 31 national parks around the county from the comfort of your home
- Metropolitan Opera is hosting nightly live opera streams at 7:30 pm while they are closed, with each performance available for 20 hours after they're streamed at night.
- Zoo Comes to You - Live at 2 pm on Facebook every weekday featuring an animal and a fun activity at the Central Florida Zoo
Art / Craft Activities
- Kids Arts and Crafts - Check out Kids Arts & Crafts on Facebook for easy drawing videos for kids and simple paper craft ideas
- Art with Mo Willems - Live daily art videos on YouTube from an American writer, animator, voice actor, and creator of children's books
Active / Fitness Activities
- Booster - Free daily fitness based content and character lessons
- GoNoodle - Keep kids moving with free movement, yoga and mindfulness videos
Storytime / Reading Activities
- Audible – Hundreds of free audiobooks for as long as schools are closed
- Josh Gad - Kids storytime every night on Twitter from Josh Gad, the voice of Frozen's Olaf
Keep checking back for updates as I will keep adding free resources as I discover them.
Stay well and keep safe,
Candidate for Seminole County Court Judge, Group 6